The Coplin Family

3.21.2011

2 months

















Here are some things about Adele:

  • eye color = blue gray
  • hair color = brown with light brown highlights and LOTS of it!  However, it has thinned out since she was born, but at the same time it's gotten longer...and crazier
  • nicknames = milk face, pretty girl, little toot, My dele, sweet girl, my sweets, toot sweets
  • birthmarks = "stork bites" on her the inner corner of her eyes (mainly her right one) and she also has some on her forehead inbetween her eyes. Hemangioma in her diaper area/upper thigh - it's not really a birthmark, but more of subcutaneous blood vessels.  It will go away over time, but it's an interesting fact that only 12% of babies get them and they are more common in preemies and white females.  Congrats Adele! ha.
  • people say I look like = Luke's hair and eyebrows up.  Lindsey from the nose down.  I also think she has Luke's feet ;)
  • my pets = Pippet dog sister
  • my likes = PACI, swaddle, being held with my stomach pressed to yours and my head in the nook of your arm, vacuum/white noise, any music/singing, being "bee-bopped" around (except right after a feed), to lay on your lap at an incline while you "talk" to her, to be "shh"ed, to hold on to your fingers while you holder her paci in.
  • Adeleisms = tree frog pose on the shoulder, get's a high pitched hum/whimper (that get's higher and higher) before burping...followed by spit up, "O" face while you talk to her and moves head from side to side sometimes
  • favorite time of day = after the first morning feed and we wake up :)
  • least favorite time of day = after the 7PM ish (sometimes 4ish) feed and I have to go to bed for the night...I don't like to go to bed
  • It has snowed 4 times within Adele's first 2 months of life!
  • Weight stats:
    2/7  5lb 10.5oz
    2/12 6lb 1 oz
    2/19 6lb 1.5 oz
    2/21 6lb 4 oz
    2/28 6lb 9 oz
    3/2   6lb 10 oz
    3/4   6lb 13.5 oz



I forgot some of my favorite things the last post...
  • Boppy lounger (again, as mentioned, she sleeps on it almost every night)
  • Pampers swaddlers (hands down better for Adele than Huggies for now with her skinny legs and all...) and I love the yellow strip down the middle that turns blue when the diaper is wet.

  • Monte glider chair (so compact, comfy and contemporary)



  • Diaper champ pail (you can use regular trash bags instead of buying expensive refills!  And it's only around $30)

  • Vick's Stary Nights Humidifier (has a really cool star/moon projection in the dark that changes colors)

  • Droid X phone (keeps me connected to the outside world when I really cannot move sometimes if nursing or comforting her)

  • And Wubba Nubs for those that use soothie pacis
 (the lamb's feet can stick in the car seat straps and stay there - glorious!)


Scheduling:  from month 1 to month 2 Adele was breastfed and would eat every 2-3 hours during the day (only a handful of 2 hour feeds) and 3-5 hour stretches at night (only a handful of 5 hour stretches).  Ever since we brought her home, Luke has fed her a supplemental bottle of formula for the last or second to last feed for the night, which has been 3 ounces.  It gave him a chance to bond with her and me to store some milk.  Plus, I've struggled with milk supply from the beginning and was very dry at night and she wouldn't rest well.  As you know, I have officially quit breastfeeding and we are moving to mostly to all formula.  I still have some breastmilk in the freezer and we are using that up.


Physical Therapy appointment 1/22 - check up went well.  Susan says that she is right on track and looks good.  We are going to continue to work on tummy time and I was advised to hold down/weigh down her hips and legs so she can focus on putting her energy towards her neck and muscles instead of arching her back and kicking her feet.  She also asked me if she was focusing on us or on objects yet and I said sometimes, but that I had been trying to put stuff in front of her, but it's hard to get her attention - she just stares into space most of the time.  She said this was normal and okay for her age.  We have to treat her as if she was born on her due date instead of her true birth date for now on developmental milestones.  That's hard for me as I read books that say she should be doing "such and such" by "such" week...


Now focusing on things for a few seconds.  Again, I think she's very attentive for her age!! 




 We are starting to use the boppy to sit up and gain more head control


 And continuing tummy time



 Sleepy time



Luke has now been sick 3 times since Adele's birth.  This third time he was sick for days with a bad migraine and had an ER visit due to dehydration and pain.  He was barely able to say a word and had to stay in a dark room.  This picture was the beginning of the madness.  Little did I know I would not speak or hear from him for days.  While I kept up with Adele, Luke's parents graciously came to stay with us and help with Luke's pill schedule and help him possibly eat food and drink water.
So thankful that his parents came to help!

...Meanwhile I spent Valentine's Day with my girl instead of Luke 
We reached our DUE DATE AGE!  Happy Valentines Day Little Toot :)
It's weird to think about how Adele went from this:
to this

A few days later Luke and I got to go out and celebrate our friend, Lenox's, 30th birthday at McEwen's on Monroe - SO fun and SO great to get out and be normal!  Thanks to Meme and Pa for taking care of Adele!

2 Month check up Dr. appointment went well.  She has her shots so we are out and about!  It was really sad to see pools of blood under her thighs on the medical table :(  She definitely cried but was consolable.  She had 3 shots and a medication by mouth.  She weighed in at 7 pounds 15.5 ounces (with clothes)!! He didn't tell me the head circumference, but said that she looked great.  We were happy to see the weight gain plus the doctor's advice to move to the bottle gives us peace moving forward.  He saw the emotional wreck I was and said it was best for Adele to have a mom that was calm and not anxious and that formula is a great option.  He sent us home with a case of Similac Advanced, but we are finishing up our preemie formula that the NICU sent us home with.  He said that I did more than he would have asked of me in trying breastfeeding. She had been exclusively bottle fed from Friday evening until that Sunday afternoon and on our scales went from the 6 lbs 13.5 to 7lbs 3.5 oz as stated above!  However, she still looks so tiny in this picture!!  



And for those wondering what the sleep monitor looks like...It blinks each time her  heart beats and each time she breathes.
We go to the follow up sleep doctor appointment on 3/14






5 comments:

  1. Lindsey, Adele has grown so much! She is so darn cute! Love all her pictures. Hope to meet her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That diaper champ pail got really bad reviews on amazon but I'm looking for something like that...what are your pros and cons for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill!! Wait until next month's post...after starting the bottle she has grown and "awakened" so much!!
    Jessica - I'm not sure what the cons are!! I love my pail. I just pull the handle and don't have to stuff anything in. I use febreeze scented trash bags. I guess one con would be that the trash bag doesn't fully fill up because it's bigger than the pail, but?? I think it's much more cost efficient and convenient than having to buy refills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this. I hate to be so far away but reading this made me feel like I am a little more connected to you and little Adele. I love you two you both are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete