The Coplin Family

3.03.2010

Coupon Tutorial - Foundations

This is my first attempt at putting into words the process I go through when I grocery shop, so this may be commented on and edited over time...
Recently my record savings was $128 and I spent $214.  That's 67% off my groceries/non-grocery items! 




I know I could save more by not buying my cleaning and bathroom products at Kroger, but I do this out of convenience and my well being to be able to stay out of Walmart :) 

On we go - this is long, but take time to digest it!  I hope it helps and feel free to comment on what I can be doing better!






COUPON TUTORIAL

1)  Buy a coupon organizer and organize them all by month.  I sometimes ignore the month rule when organizing my coupons if I know I can double certain coupons together.  

For example: If I have a coupon for a FREE Degree deodorant from Kroger that expires in March and I also have a manufacturing coupon for 50¢ off 1 Degree deodorant (doubles to $1) that expires in April, I will put both of them back to back in the March slot so I can use them together and make $1 on that grocery visit! 

2)  Have someone save the Sunday paper coupons for you or get the Sunday paper yourself.  I have my dad & his fiance save them for me and pick them up when I can.  However, you can survive and save tons of money without these coupons.  It's just an added bonus ;)

NOTE: Never throw away a coupon because it’s a duplicate.  You never know
when you will need to go back to the grocery for that item!

3)  Print coupons off online!!
coupons.com

smartsource.com
redplum.com 
valpak.com

4) Add online coupons to your Grocery Card:
cellfire.com
shortcuts.com
pgesaver.com - sadly you cannot use this for Kroger cards anymore :(

5)  Get the store layout and what each isle carries from the grocery you regularly go to.  I have created a Grocery List Template Word document listing what items are in each isle.  I edit this before each grocery list, but do not save it so that I can keep my template.  When editing, I list the quantity & brand that I need to satisfy the coupon.  I can send you a "before template" and "after grocery list."  Just email me for it: lindseycoplin@gmail.com

Here is how I code so I can know how much I will save on a "brand name" item vs. buying "store brand" to see which is the best deal.  I am not brand loyal on most things.

C$1 for printed coupons - It could look like this if I have a coupon for 40¢ (I go ahead and double it on paper) C80¢
SC$1 for shortcuts.com card coupons - these do not double
Cell$1 for cellfire.com card coupons - these do not double

NOTE: If I have a multiple coupons for similar items (i.e. for different brands of coffee) I list the brand "C$1" or whatever the coupon discount is for all on the same line.  It helps me get the best deal between brands and stay focused instead of having to constantly browse through my coupons.
Example: Say I have a coupon for 2 different brands of coffee (again, I'm not brand loyal).  I have a $1 off Starbucks coffee and a 25¢ (doubled is 50¢) for Folgers.  Folgers (27.8 oz tub) is $5.99 and Starbucks (12 oz bag) is $8.99 for much less quantity of coffee.  So, I can assess that I am going to buy the Folgers for $5.49 and not use the Starbucks coupon for now.  It's usually more expensive anyway, but sometimes I splurge if Folgers isn't on sale and Starbucks is :)
I hope this makes sense.  I'm just saying I take options for similar items b/c something might be on sale that I didn't realize, which does sway my decision ;) 

4) Get the entertainment book!  You can save $5 (for spending $75) at
Kroger every month if you shop in bulk like me.  Also included is another $5 off of $50 spent at Kroger.  It cost about $20 for the book (annual renewal) and we use more than just the $65 in savings at Kroger. I try to make 2 grocery trips a month (one big one and another smaller one for bread, milk, etc). 
NOTE: To make sure I use these coupons I clip them and put one in each month in the coupon organizer.


Stemming off of this, let me tell you why I shop at KROGER:

  • They double coupons under 55 ¢. NOTE: those 55 ¢ coupons are actually $1.10 off and are worth more than the $1 coupons.
  • They have great sales.  I ALWAYS look at the weekly ads before going.  You can find those online here: (http://services.kroger.com/mapquest/storesearchadvanced.aspx)
  • They send you personalized coupons based on what you normally buy.  This may be from signing up for the Kroger plus card, but if you are not getting them – call the store!
  • They send you coupons periodically pertaining to the season (ie football time – chips, salsa, etc).
  • Gas savings: 10 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend there.  Luke and I pump at the same time so we can get the 10 cents off for the both of us - yes, probably not supposed to do that but we beat the system ;)
  • Manager's Special in the Meat Isle!  It is mostly meat that is about to expire, but can be frozen.

Example on Cheerios – I bought 2 boxes: 1 Yogurt burst and 1 Honey Nut

1) I checked the ad – they were on sale for $1.77 a box.
2) I checked my coupons – I had printed out two.  One was I save 75¢
on 1 box of Cheerios.  The other was I buy 2 and get $1 off.
3) I had added a coupon from shortcuts.com to my Kroger card for 75¢
TOTAL SPENT:
$1.04 for 2 boxes of Cheerios!!
(and Cheerios are normally over $3 a box)


NOTE: I always take advantage if toothpaste and small items are
on sale because more than likely there is a coupon out there for them
both printable and online coupons added to your card.  I have made money off of stuff
like this.


To sum up my grocery shopping - PREPARATION is KEY.  Here are my steps:
  1. Open Grocery List Template in Word document form.
  2. Check Kroger Ad & unadvertised deals at Kroger on southernsavers.com (checking the ad will help me when I browse my coupons which coupons to go ahead and use).  I write the items I want to take advantage of on my Grocery List Template.
  3. Browse clipped coupons and add the Quantity and Brand and coupon amount as instructed on Grocery List Template.
  4. Browse online coupons added to card and add savings to your Grocery List Template if you item is already listed or add Quantity and Brand and coupon amount to the Grocery List Template.

OTHER SHOPPING
Clothes/electronics use these website:
Eating out and recreational activities:
Other resources:

5 comments:

  1. Since this post my be hard to read I can send this to you in Word Document form as well as the Grocery List Template (mine is based off the Kroger on Summer Avenue). My email is lindseycoplin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other thing I do with the ENtertainment Books is buy another one about this time of year - they go on sale, and still have coupons to use now through the end of October. And we use the others like El Mezcal, etc... That way, you have 2 Kroger ones to use a month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsey! you are so cute. I have been couponing too and it can totally save you so much money. i didn't read the whole post yet- but my dad was saying that you can sign up with kroger to get coupons in the mail that are specifically for you and the items that you normally buy. i'm so jealous, our grocery stores are not so cool. And thanks for the comments on my living room! i actually bought the fabric for the frames first and then after putting the frames on the shelf i had an aha moment for the ottoman :). oh and the big secret is that my couches aren't that clean if you look close :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - I totally agree! They were on sale for $14 the other week and so worth it!

    Angela - I did mention in the post that that is why I love Kroger! However, they only send you personalized coupons if you meet some kind of status quo with them - my friend called and asked to get them, but she doesn't shop there enough or meet some kind of $$ quota, so they don't send her any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's how you do it! I am so impressed. I really need to spend more time on cutting cupons etc. Matt is going to love this post. He's always trying to get me to get tips from you!

    ReplyDelete